Tuesday 7 June 2011

Red Kites on the Chiltern trail 08/05/11


If I drive down the M40, one of the best sights is the Red Kites that can be seen in Buckinghamshire. These are easily identifable magnificent birds of prey with forked tails. but the sights of them from the car are too fleeting.
 This weekend I went to London to see the Spurs v Blackpool game, and met a friend after the game who had offered me a bed for the night with himself and his girlfriend in Amerham. aAs they like walking I took my boots with me and on sunday went for a walk on the edge of the Chilterns.
The walk was completely different from the ones we do nearer home, being mainly through gently undulating farmland and through traditional english woodland. As such I am not going to go into detail about the walk itself, however we did see some great birds and also some fun farm animals. The best sights for me were the Kites of which we saw several on the first part of the walk, mostly they were quite high over head but clearly kites due to their silouette. A one point however one was flying very low straight towards us and I would have been able to get a great photo, however I decided to try and get a little video as my camera has a video option, sadly however I faffed about and couldnt get the video working until the kite had passed us by and all I ended up with was a poor still shot, ah well.
A great fun sight was when we were walking toward a field of pigs, they must have heard us approaching and thought we were bring food as they quite literally galloped down the field toward us ears flapping.
Unlikeon  local walk,s after we had walked about 3 miles, we noticed a pub close by so did a little detour and had a snack and a drink at the pub, we then set off to join the route for the final walk back to Amersham. While walking beside a hedgerow, I noticed a bright little bird which I later indentified as a yellowhammer, a bird I havent seen since I was a child.
All in all a nice walk of just over 5 miles, we walked for 4 hours, including pub stop and also saw lots of wild flowers, bluebells, forgetmenots and others, birdwise also saw finches, tits and a buzzard.
Hopefully back to the hills and dales next weekend.
-----

No comments:

Post a Comment