Tuesday 7 June 2011

Beacon Fell 08/08/10

I was on my own this time, butI felt I needed some fresh air, so I thought it was better ;not to go off the beaten track, after some consideration I decided to try Beacon Fell country park.
Although the weather wasn't great, it was quite busy, all the paths here are well marked and the walk is mostly through woods. With lots of people about there was not much expectation to see much wild life and I really didnt see anything.
 I followed the paths through the woods and eventually the path reached the top of the fell which is a bit like a tonsure on a monk's;head, woods all around but a clearing at the top. The views from here could have been very good but because of the cloud not a lot could be seen, the higher fells nearby were topped with the cloud (pictured)  and looking over to where the Lakes are, visibilty was poor so nothing to see in that direction either.
Instead of following the indicated route down from the top I decided to walk down through the woods themselves where it was a lot quieter but also quite muddy in places, I could hear woodpeckers but didnt manage to spot any unfortunately. After a while I reached another guided path and followed this back to the carpark.
All in all not the best of walks but it got me outdoors and gave me a bit of exercise, hopefully next time I wont be on my own and will be able to get out into the open country again.

Ironically as I drove home the weather improved a lot, Ah well, this is England.
-----

No comments:

Post a Comment